Outdoor recreation is an important part of many people’s lives, but it can also have negative impacts on the natural environment. Leave No Trace Australia is dedicated to minimizing these impacts and preserving the beauty and health of our outdoor spaces for future generations to enjoy.
- Crowded Parks: With the growing popularity of outdoor recreation, many parks and natural areas are becoming increasingly crowded. This can lead to overuse and degradation of natural resources, as well as creating a less enjoyable experience for visitors.
- Damaged Trails: Heavy foot traffic and improper trail use can lead to erosion and damage to hiking trails, which can be costly to repair and harm the environment. Leave No Trace aims to educate people on how to minimize their impact on trails and maintain their quality for everyone to enjoy.
- Destructive Fires: Improper campfire use, including building large fires or leaving fires unattended, can cause damaging fires in the wilderness. These fires not only harm the environment but also put human lives and property at risk.
- Misinformation in the Outdoors: There is a lot of misinformation floating around about outdoor recreation and the environment. This can lead to people making decisions that are harmful to the environment and wildlife. Leave No Trace provides accurate, up-to-date information on minimal impact practices to help people make informed decisions.
- Polluted Water: Human activities, such as littering, improper waste disposal, and carelessness with soaps and chemicals, can lead to polluted water sources. This not only impacts the health of wildlife, but it can also pose a health risk to people who rely on these water sources for drinking, cooking, and washing.
- Trashed Natural Areas: Litter and human waste in natural areas can be a significant problem, not only impacting the appearance of the area but also threatening the health and safety of wildlife and people. Leave No Trace helps educate people on proper waste disposal and littering practices to reduce the impact on natural areas.
Some of the problems that Leave No Trace seeks to address include:
- Soil erosion and damage to vegetation caused by creating new trails or walking off designated paths
- Contamination of water sources through improper disposal of waste and litter
- Impacts to wildlife habitat and behavior through disturbance or harassment
- Degradation of natural and cultural resources through overuse or damage from fire, camping, and other activities
- Spread of invasive species through the transport of plants and animals from one location to another