Training Teachers in Leave No Trace Australia Principles
The Leave No Trace movement was founded to educate people about their impact on the environment and encourage them to enjoy the outdoors in a sustainable and responsible manner. One of the key ways to achieve this is through education, and the Leave No Trace Australia program has been designed to provide training to teachers so they can pass these principles on to their students.
In this article, we will explore the Leave No Trace Australia program and the principles that it covers, as well as the benefits of training teachers in these principles.
Leave No Trace Australia Principles
The Leave No Trace Australia program is based on seven principles, which are designed to help minimize the impact of outdoor activities on the environment. These principles are:
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Minimize campfire impact
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors
- More information on each of these principles can be found in the Skills and Ethics booklet – Australian edition.
Benefits of Training Teachers in Leave No Trace Australia Principles
There are many benefits to training teachers in Leave No Trace Australia principles, including:
- Improved environmental awareness and sustainability: By training teachers in Leave No Trace principles, they will have a greater understanding of the impact that their activities can have on the environment and will be better equipped to educate their students on the importance of sustainable outdoor practices.
- Developed leadership skills: Teachers who have been trained in Leave No Trace principles will be better equipped to lead their students on outdoor activities, as they will have a better understanding of how to minimize the impact of these activities on the environment.
- Improved outdoor experiences: By following Leave No Trace principles, teachers and their students will be able to enjoy the outdoors in a more responsible and sustainable manner, leading to a better overall experience.
- Fostering a love of nature: By teaching students about the importance of protecting the environment, teachers can help to foster a love of nature and a respect for the outdoors.
Professional Development for Teachers
The Leave No Trace Australia program offers professional development opportunities for teachers, including workshops, training sessions, and certification programs. These programs are designed to provide teachers with the knowledge and skills they need to educate their students about Leave No Trace principles and promote sustainable outdoor practices.
The Leave No Trace Australia program is an important initiative that provides teachers with the knowledge and skills they need to educate their students about Leave No Trace principles and promote sustainable outdoor practices. By participating in this program, teachers can help to protect the environment and improve the outdoor experiences of their students.
LEAVE NO TRACE & CATCHMENTS CARERS
An opportunity for teachers to sample a variety of EcoEducation’s programs followed by a walk along the Catchment Carers’ Trail
Bookings to attend the April 2011 EcoEducation Professional Learning for Teachers are filling quickly. Please register your interest to attend the PL by COB 23rd March
Please contact the EcoEducation office on 9292 6149 or email firstname.lastname@example.org